Curvy 3D on Mac Dev Log

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

It's quite hard to learn as the debugger in xcode is not helpful. But after a couple of days I think I have the basics (enough to add the Curvy menu bar!) The best bit was realising I could mix and match C++ and Objective-C in the same source files - so most of the time I just use C++.

I'm beginning to realise that there are lots of little Mac-Specific features that a Mac user will expect from an application - but that I might not know are missing, so I'll need to spend some time on that once the main functionality is working.

In any case I hope to have an early Alpha build ready in the next couple of days (Lots of graphics + functionality bugs but a good first test). Moderators only until the bigger bugs are fixed.
darshie76

Post by darshie76 »

If this can help, Appkit has a tons of features that let you do the usual mac things with 2 lines of code :)

If i would be you i would not fight objective c and just go with the flow....i discovered that doing c++ in objective c is usually fine but is a pain to debug (unless you encapsulate your c++ in a class and just call it when needed).

I am sure that you are enjoying the experience :P
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I'm just about to start making dialog boxes and file load/save - so I am sure that get a good boost from AppKit - so far NSAlertPanel and NSMenu were efficient ( less code required than on Windows :) ).
Curveball

Post by Curveball »

Just joined.

Is it Wine-ready yet?
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Apple is doing my head in. It is like a secret society with all its different closed languages and APIs - at least Windows is organised and well documented.

I've got the basics working with an OpenGL editor, but integrating the dialogs into Cocoa/Carbon is beyond me so far. And bizzarely the Windows OpenGL version has stopped working under Wine compared to the slower DirectX under Wine version.

wxWidgets is another option - but that doesn't seem to play well with OpenGL AFAIK.

I will probably have to find a dev who has done the same kind of transition and ask them how they did it.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I've got dialog boxes working in Curvy OSX now - by ignoring Cocoa/Carbon trickiness and just drawing them myself in OpenGL!

Also fixed the view borders so objects don't overlap into each other's viewports.

Just want to get load/save file chooser dialogs working and will be ready for a new beta drop.
mykyl
Curvy3D Professional

Post by mykyl »

Excellent news Simon. Looking forward to it.

Mike
jayd

Post by jayd »

Apple is extremely difficult to deal with Simon--just grit your teeth, don't give up and never mention Adobe Flash to Steve Jobs--then all will be good with the world.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

mmm I LOVE adobe flash as a programming language :D