Curvy 4 vs 5 Beta

Discussion and updates on Curvy 3D Beta development.
moogaloonie

Curvy 4 vs 5 Beta

Post by moogaloonie »

Somehow missed that there was a Curvy 5 beta program, as I keep seeing new features appearing for version 4. So I have a few questions...
When will version 4 development cease if version 5 development is well under way?
What are the major features planned to separate version 5 from version 4?
I had planned on buying Curvy after the holidays, and just downloaded the demo version over the weekend.
Should I install the demo and then buy version 4 in January? Or should I install the demo and later join the Curvy 5 beta at Voxel tier? Or should I just join the beta program now?
I understand that new features are likely to be unfinished, but does the 5 beta have all of the features as the current version of Curvy 4?

(edit: Maybe the new features I'm seeing are for Curvy 5? It is not clear if new features shown before beta was announced are being added to version 4 or are not coming until version 5, specifically the ones from July-October.)
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: Curvy 4 vs 5 Beta

Post by Simon »

4.1 was the last feature update for 4.

Going forwards development is on GO and 5.

The current 5 Beta has all the features in 4.1 plus a couple of new things. Going forward the 5 Beta is the best place to get the new features as soon as possible. (Everything up to October 2020 is in 5.0.01 Beta, and features since then will eventually make it into a 5 Beta)

The list of 5 features is too long to write here - but everything on the New Features forum here plus everything on the GO milestones plus several unnanounced features.

If you go for Voxel Tier you effectively get 4.1 included anyway, so using the Demo for a month (version 4.0) then upgrading to the 5 Beta is a good route. If you want to get the latest development news join the Patreon at Tier Pixel, and then upgrade to Voxel when you want to use the Beta.
moogaloonie

Post by moogaloonie »

Simon wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:05 pm If you go for Voxel Tier you effectively get 4.1 included anyway, so using the Demo for a month (version 4.0) then upgrading to the 5 Beta is a good route. If you want to get the latest development news join the Patreon at Tier Pixel, and then upgrade to Voxel when you want to use the Beta.
If I am Voxel tier for 5 months, I get Curvy 5 when it is released? When is the expected release date? That seems to me like the best deal, if it will not release sooner.
What is the expected upgrade price from 4 to 5?
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Yes, once you have paid £100 you get a full 5 license to keep (although the actual release price might be higher that that, so you may save money that way).

5 is not going to release for at least a year, probably two.

I'm not thinking about an upgrade price from 4 to 5 yet.