Dynamic Lighting

Discussion and updates on Curvy 3D Beta development.
Simon
C.E.O.

Dynamic Lighting

Post by Simon »

I'm ditching matcaps in favor of dynamic lighting. I've put a clip of moving a point light around in realtime on Patreon.

I like things like point lights and spot lights. I'd like to have different light shapes too to cast interesting shadows on my models.

I'm planning to let you paint with complete materials the same way you currently paint with colours.

The same objecs again with tweaked settings on the lights:

mykyl
Curvy3D Professional

Re: Dynamic Lighting

Post by mykyl »

That looks interesting. Looking forward to seeing it in action.
weswes

Post by weswes »

This might be just what I was looking for!
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Finished the Light Rig creator UI (Screenshot on Patreon). Now I'm moving onto the Materials creation UI. I tried out some complex material shaders, but I think plain old bumpmaps are the best option - but I'm adding an auto UV mode so you can sculpt without texture stretching without needing to unwrap UVs all the time.
moogaloonie

Post by moogaloonie »

These materials look great! I am curious though... Are the environment maps part of each material or a component of the lighting rig?
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Unlike my old MatCap/Lightmap system I've taken all the properties that have to do with the environment, lighting, reflections and so on into the LightRig, and left only a few basic properties on the MatRig, like colour, roughness, metalness and finickity stuff like texture, bump and displacement maps.
moogaloonie

Post by moogaloonie »

Simon wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:00 am Unlike my old MatCap/Lightmap system I've taken all the properties that have to do with the environment, lighting, reflections and so on into the LightRig, and left only a few basic properties on the MatRig, like colour, roughness, metalness and finickity stuff like texture, bump and displacement maps.
So these are PBR materials that could be exported to blender, Unity, UE, etc.?
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Potentially yes, if you tweaked the format a little. It is the same idea translated into a system that makes sense to an artist rather than a physics person.
moogaloonie

Post by moogaloonie »

I still think with these materials, and a basic bokeh/DoF effect, there would be a lot of people using Curvy for their final images without needing to export. :wink: ;)