Head, Hair, and Hands

Show us your Curvy art here
weswes

Head, Hair, and Hands

Post by weswes »

Hey Guys,
This stern looking gentleman is supposed to be some kind of warlock figure. I'll have to finish the rest later. I created a brief tutorial for myself on how I got there, saved as a series of images in a zip file. The filename for each image explains the steps that I took. I have always been of average artistic talent and so heads and hands have always been troublesome for me. Hair modeling was something new for myself as well. So that is why I decided to practice these shapes in order to refine my process. I figure if I could complete these shapes believably than other shapes would be no problem.

My long-term goal is making a video game. 2d Platformer with nice visuals in a Capcom style of the mid 90s. I really think curvy is well suited for this. A really cool anime, comic style is achievable in a simple way. So I feel really fortunate that Curvy has developed so nicely as it has always been my preferred working environment for modeling and now sculpting.
23.head_finished.png
23.head_finished.png (237.95 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
24.blender_quick_render_cropped.png
24.blender_quick_render_cropped.png (203.83 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
Image 58.jpg
Image 58.jpg (171.11 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
images of steps
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SdZoY4VtdKust9ZP7

zipped tutorial
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PgHXqO ... sp=sharing

I made the hair using lofts for the shape and then mesh brush strokes. Mesh brush strokes is a 5.01 beta feature that you can access by becoming a patreon memeber.

The hands I made using lathes for the fingers, and some of the muscles. The palm was a slab. The finger nails are the rounded sculpt tool, repeated a few times. The palm was a slab.

After i got the larger shapes. Palm, fingers, thumb, worked out as primitives. I voxel merged them at a very high poly property. That helps keep the nice curves. Then I go to the mesh panel and reduce the newly merged mesh, I do this so I can manipulate it easier. Adding finer detail. I always try to go from larger shapes to finer details in all of my sculpts.
Last edited by weswes on Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
sculptor

Re: Head Sculpt

Post by sculptor »

thanks for sharing your technique 8)
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Great looking shapes and definition.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Very interesting to see Voxels used late on in the sculpt process, thanks for posting your steps.
weswes

Post by weswes »

The new tools are so responsive. I'm sculpting in hair today and I'm really excited because I believe everything will perform really well!
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I think about hair a lot. It's really just a bunch of Curves... but for the moment using Curvy Primitive Objects like Lathe and Loft with alphas to look like bunches and strands of hair can look good (its the way game engines do it - I've never seen particle hair in a game).

And I've got plans for a hair shader - again in realtime - getting the anistropy and self shadowing working is an interesting challenge, but in the meantime black hair looks good!
weswes

Re: Head, Hair, and Hands

Post by weswes »

hair turned out pretty well! I think for my next attempt, it will be more chunky and cartoony.