Quick Tutorial: Joining Curvy Prims in Blender

weswes

Quick Tutorial: Joining Curvy Prims in Blender

Post by weswes »

Hello,

The link below shows a sequential overview on what I am considering and how I approach joining curvy primitives in Blender. When building larger meshes from many primitives a major problem that needs to be overcome is what primitives are joined first for the best workflow and why?

Well topology and speed are the answers. The means to get there is fairly simple.

If someone has a better way than this I would be glad to hear it. The link below has, in proper order, images of what I am discussing.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... JsR01abjBB

Problem. Overlapping the thy and the shin there is the pesky knee.
I want to do two things. Separate the knee into two parts. Front and back. I do this because I want to vertically align my shin, back of knee, and thy. Then connect these pieces. The knee cap will be added later.

The shin, thy, and knee, without the kneecap, has great topology. It also simplifies the process to do it from one alignment to the next, in this case a vertical (Y axis) alignment to the (Z-axis) or depth alignment.

Now I eliminate faces in the new shin, knee, thy, mesh that the kneecap will be placed infront of (where the kneecap overlaps the leg)

Then I connect the edge loops. Then I mirror the leg. Then i look around and adjust topology. Bam. Looking good.

Look at that nice topology. From concept to finished mesh. Curvy to Blender is the real deal.

This is an overview and If you are new to blender and are frustrated at any point, let me know in this forum and maybe I can clear up the confusion.

Thanks,
Weswes

PS. Image 02) The red outline box is how I conceptualize the knee cap being placed after I join the vertical portions of the 3 curvy prims.

03) the kneecap has already been separated and is invisible in edit mode because I am not yet using it. After I connect the the 3 prims, I will then add the kneecap which is shown in the following images.

06) It should say *kneecap
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: Quick Tutorial: Joining Curvy Prims in Blender

Post by Simon »

Interesting to see the workflow. I love good topology, but it does take more care than simply chucking meshes together.

I like the look of Instant Meshes but you'll never beat a hand crafted mesh.
weswes

Re: Quick Tutorial: Joining Curvy Prims in Blender

Post by weswes »

Simon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:32 pm Interesting to see the workflow. I love good topology, but it does take more care than simply chucking meshes together.

I like the look of Instant Meshes but you'll never beat a hand crafted mesh.
That looks quite beautiful.