3D Workflow from Ideas to Final Render in Curvy 3D, Blender

Simon
C.E.O.

3D Workflow from Ideas to Final Render in Curvy 3D, Blender

Post by Simon »

This is a quick overview of the process I use and the software my ideas go through as I create. Thanks to Google, PureRef, Curvy 3D, Tree It, Blender & GIMP.

3D Workflow from Ideas to Final Render in Curvy 3D, Blender and More | Gigantic

weswes

Re: 3D Workflow from Ideas to Final Render in Curvy 3D, Blen

Post by weswes »

Are you kidding me lol. I was just thinking about posting a tutorial on how i use blender and curvy and other 2d art programs. I really love curvy and want to help others get into it. More specifically A FAQ Blender 2.8 and Curvy interactions.

Really great video! Is your Camera System a feature in 4.1? The "look at" looks intriguing. I was hoping for a vanishing point tool for curvy and a few more camera features to make matte painting a little easier in curvy, kind of bypassing Blender.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

There is a bit more I could say about how I setup my Blender scene to use with Curvy imports, most of which I learnt from my first week or so watching other's Blender tutorials, but maybe useful to have in one place.

Cameras have been in Curvy for ages, but they require a bit of setup...

You have to change one of your viewports to "Camera" using the menu in the top right called "3D viewports..."
Then create three small objects, I use a sphere and duplicate it into 3.
Double click on a sphere in the Groups panel to rename it, change the names to:
CAMERA
LOOKAT
FOV
All in capitals.

Now drag the CAMERA back, and the FOV up. You should see the view changing in the Camera Viewport.

For vanishing point I create a few cubes and make them have a really big Depth, and move them to the corners of the scene - it is quite easy now to see the effect of different camera distances on perspective and estimate where the vanishing point (and horizon) from where the diagonals formed by the cubes in perspective intersect.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I'm unpacking the detail of the modelling and sculpting process in a new series of videos. They are all recorded - just need to do the editing and voice over (for 3 hours of footage). The one I really want to post first is actually the last in the series and explains how to use "Fit to Surface" to create the moulded wrist guard - a feature I plan to develop further soon.

A) DRAWING
Drawing a Man's Basemesh
Reshaping Man into Giant
Setup Camera and Pose
Model and Pose the Hand

B) SCULPTING
The Torso
The Basic Head
The Teeth
Horns, Hair, Ears
Arm & Costume
Posing the Sculpted Torso

C) PROPS
The Sword
Ornate Wristguard
weswes

Post by weswes »

Thanks for the camera set up tutorial! I'll be using it soon for sure. "fit to" seems awesome as well, make things go super fast.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I'm planning some major updates to "fit to" to make it easier to use and more powerful. I love the idea of using meshes in the same way I'd use textures - wrapping them all over another object.
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: 3D Workflow from Ideas to Final Render in Curvy 3D, Blender

Post by Simon »

Got the advanced version of Fit to Surface working - next to make a good model to show it working in earnest!
weswes

Post by weswes »

Simon wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:37 am There is a bit more I could say about how I setup my Blender scene to use with Curvy imports, most of which I learnt from my first week or so watching other's Blender tutorials, but maybe useful to have in one place.

Cameras have been in Curvy for ages, but they require a bit of setup...

You have to change one of your viewports to "Camera" using the menu in the top right called "3D viewports..."
Then create three small objects, I use a sphere and duplicate it into 3.
Double click on a sphere in the Groups panel to rename it, change the names to:
CAMERA
LOOKAT
FOV
All in capitals.

Now drag the CAMERA back, and the FOV up. You should see the view changing in the Camera Viewport.

For vanishing point I create a few cubes and make them have a really big Depth, and move them to the corners of the scene - it is quite easy now to see the effect of different camera distances on perspective and estimate where the vanishing point (and horizon) from where the diagonals formed by the cubes in perspective intersect.
This made me so darn happy thank you so much