sculpting depth limit

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
MrMajorThorburn

sculpting depth limit

Post by MrMajorThorburn »

I am continuing with my method of attempting to sculpt down through a number of spheres centred together.
I have a set of 5 coloured where outer 4 are shades of grey and the centre one is blue and am not able to sculpt beyond sphere 3.
Sphere 4 sculpting almost looks like its adding rather than subtracting. It is certainly not showing progress like the first three did.

I have attached a screen shot to demonstrate what I am seeing.

Is there a limit on sculpting depth or something I am falling foul of?
Attachments
CurvySculptingLimit.png
CurvySculptingLimit.png (149.02 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: sculpting depth limit

Post by Simon »

Are you sure the centre is Blue? It looks like the Paint colour is blue - so you might have changed that instead of the object's Base Light colour.

You do have a point about the brush you are using. The Sub brush pushes the mesh in the direction of the average surface normal... when you sculpt deep enough through the sphere that average includes the back of the sphere - which can actually result in an average "down" direction of back out at you!

Here's my go, for this one - for the largest sphere I didn't use the Sub brush, I used the Widget Move tool instead and dragged the front backwards using the Left viewport.

Another way to do it is to use Lathes, and accurately create the cutout using Redraw-as-SemiCircle and Redraw-as-CircleArc. This method is much more exact than using the sculpt brush.