Slab Primitive

Discussion and updates on Curvy 3D Beta development.
Simon
C.E.O.

Slab Primitive

Post by Simon »

Adding a new primitive type to make simple extruded shapes. You draw the outline, and optional depth and bevel size curves.

The holes are made by the mirror a "3" to make an "8" trick.

This is a precursor to the Blob primitive, where the curve gets turned into a freeform rounded shape - much like "Image Inflate" does, but easier to access and edit within Curvy.

sculptor

Post by sculptor »

like the idea of this tool especially if it had a nice default thickness so it could be used like a lathe
but with the advantage of merging ok
PatMarrNC

Re: Slab Primitive

Post by PatMarrNC »

Ah! Another VERY COOL FEATURE! It sort of reminds me of a product named ARCHIPELIS, which lets you load a graphic, then trace around it, and it creates a 3d model based on the 2d sketch... AND then grabs the texture from the photo and applies it to the model! Except that That's pretty much all that Archipelis does, whereas in Curvy 3d, making models from a 2D sketch is just one of many cool and innovative features!

I just bought this, and I haven't fully learned it yet.. I'm hoping that Curvy will let me load 2d graphics to trace around in order to build my slab models...
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

You can either add a backdrop to the view:
http://www.curvy3d.com/docs3.0/feature- ... #view-menu

Or my current favorite - create a cube, flatten it to almost zero depth, and add the reference image as a texture.
PatMarrNC

Post by PatMarrNC »

Simon wrote:You can either add a backdrop to the view:
http://www.curvy3d.com/docs3.0/feature- ... #view-menu

Or my current favorite - create a cube, flatten it to almost zero depth, and add the reference image as a texture.
WOW! Thanks for the link! Those are cool options! The more I learn about this software the more I like it!
I've said this before, but I'll say it again... your artistic and innovative approach to handling the standard 3d modelling features is what really sets you apart from everybody else!

I would never have thought to add holes in a model by creating a slab and mirroring it... but having seen it done now, it makes so much sense to do it that way! And mirroring has the added advantage of making the resulting model more symmetrical and pleasing to the eye!

I can see I'll be spending a lot of time here reading through the forum and watching the tutorials... I am very happy with this purchase, and I can tell already that it is destined to become one of my go-to solutions.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I do enjoy sculpting as a kind of puzzle/strategy game - each new object you have to work out a good strategy for creating it given the tools you have available. It is fun to discover new tricks to make objects using tools in new combinations.