Curvy 3D 2.0 Demo - Loosing materials while im/exporting

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
Inflater

Curvy 3D 2.0 Demo - Loosing materials while im/exporting

Post by Inflater »

Hello folks,

I am playing right now with the demo version of »Curvy3D 2.0«. Aside from the great functionality it seems to loose materials while importing .OBJ files. Meaning: If I import an object with let's say 10 materials UV-mapped on it and I export that object from curvy again all 10 materials are lost and are merged into two materials (»Mat0« and »Mat1«). The UV-map is still intact though.

Is this just a behavior of the Demo version or does the full version of »Curvy 3D 2.0 Pro« not understand materials at all?

Regards,
The Inflater
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Curvy should understand materials (at least simple things like colour and texture maps). However it may be that Curvy cannot find the files where it is looking.

The safest way to import is to put all the texture maps in the same place as the obj and mtl files - and perhaps even rename the texture map locations as they appear in the mtl file (opened as text).

Other apps will popup a file dialog asking to relocate the textures - Curvy doesn't do that yet.
Inflater

Post by Inflater »

Well, I fear I don't understand. If Curvy 3D does not find the texture maps for the imported models does it mean it deletes the material zones of an imported model?

I am not speaking about the texture maps itself (JPG, PNG, whatever) but about the material zones defined inside the imported model. With »zone« I mean which face/traingle/polygon has which which material assigned to it. Up until now Curvy is loosing this information.

I won't care about already existing texture maps which should be shown onto the imported model (it would be a nice addition though).

Regards,
The Inflater
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Aha - I see what you mean. There are several ways an Obj can store texture information, so you might have found an unsupported one. Without seeing the obj file I couldn't guess what is missing. Could you email it to "meshes (at) curvy3d.com" ?
Inflater

Post by Inflater »

eMail send. :)

Regards,
The Inflater