Are these Forums still active?

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
Bunderfeld

Are these Forums still active?

Post by Bunderfeld »

Hi All, I'm a new user to Curvy3D 2.o Pro, and I have been looking through the Forums to see if I can gleen any tips about how to make "Sculpts" for use in worlds such as "Second Life" or the Virtual World I'm active in, "InWorldz".

After looking through the threads, I see there's not been a lot of activity on the Forums, at least by the Thread Dates, so first I'm wondering if these Forums are still active; of course, I hope they are, as I'm sure I'll be seeking help from some of you "old timers".

My main interest in Curvy3D is the creation of Sculpts. I'm a detail oriented guy, so I'm having trouble grasping how Sculpts are created. I'm the person that needs to know why I can model a Teapot (Yes, I actually did that Tutorial and came up with a decent enough looking Teapot), and yet, I can't export it to be a Sculpt. My first attempt turned out to be in 4 different parts, the Body of the Teapot, the Spout, the Handle and the Top. Of those 4 items, only the Handle actually look like it should, the others appeared to be only 1/2 of what they should be. Now, I'm thinking my basic understanding of all this stuff is what is causing my issues. I'm trying to find a tutorial, or tutorials, that can take me through what a Sculpt is, to the final stage of creating a sculpt and having it look correct. I doubt there are any planned tutorials that cover the Sculpt issue from Start to Finish, but I'm certainly willing to produce my own (I use Camtasia) tutorials that would be step-by-step after I learn the process myself. So, if anyone knows of any Tutorial(s) that I can watch/read that will get me started and then move me along, your replies here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance my friends.

Bob Bunderfeld
Owner of Builders Choice Premier Textures - On the SIM of Freedom in the Virtual World of InWorldz.
mykyl
Curvy3D Professional

Post by mykyl »

I always check out the forums. With regard to second life. I have not ever tried creating sculpties for sl as its not something that has interested me.

When you say that only half the model comes out I would assume that you are using mirror when creating the models. I am guessing that its not actually creating that mirror half.

No idea if it would work but have you converted the model parts to a mesh in curvy then exported them? Press K to convert to mesh.

Mike
Mr.Nemo
Board Chairman

Post by Mr.Nemo »

The forums go in and out of activity. I visit the forums at least daily. I don't play SL but I would agree with Mykyl, double check to see if your model is either mirrored and/or convert to mesh before exporting to a sculpt.
C is missing : Scream's pain of Clicking dost my Keyboard a Thinkin'. I need a new Laptop.
mykyl
Curvy3D Professional

Post by mykyl »

Actually I did some testing and meshes cannot be converted to sculpties.

So far by not creating a mirrored object I have had no issues. In other words as long as I just created a single lathe then sculpt it to shape using a curvy map everything seemed fine.

Mike
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I check the forums regularly - but mostly post when I have new art to share.

A "half-model" look sometimes happens after you import into SL and the object appears inside out - with the front facing half invisible. You will know if this is the problem if you orbit around the model in SL and it looks like you are only seeing the inside of the model.
This can be fixed by mirroring the object in SL. eg: scaling by -1 along x axis.

Also - try to leave the parts as lathes & lofts and if you convert to mesh to sculpt the parts don't use the merge command as it will spoil the UVs and break the sculptie export.

Finally - if that doesn't work feel free to email me the cvy file and I will have a look and see if I can find a solution. There are several SL designers who use the exporter a lot without issue - so this is an unusual problem.