Curvy 1.6 + Dogwaffle 1.2 an awesome combo!

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
Midnight Carnival

Curvy 1.6 + Dogwaffle 1.2 an awesome combo!

Post by Midnight Carnival »

And I'm looking to upgrade both very soon.

I'm just pointing this out for those not familiar with the interaction between the two programs, the exchange between both proggies is easier than it looks.

The following is pumpkin done within ten minutes but pay close attention to the indentures around the pumpkin done with a quick bump map in PDW.

First I hit space bar twice to deselect all. Held down RMB and passed over the object until 'Object' appeared in the lower right corner of the viewport and let go.

Selected paint brush and placed it on the square for Bump in the right-hand painting column.

I went to 'Dogwaffle' in the menu bar, selected 'Send current texture buffer to Dogwaffle.'

Jumped over to Dogwaffle (already opened and waiting) where the texture was waiting for me to paint on and quickly painted a handful of black stripes going down the paper.

Jumped back to Curvy and selected 'Fetch buffer from Dogwaffle' and the bump was instantly implemented. =D
Last edited by Midnight Carnival on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Carnival

Oh, btw I could've done this right there in Curvy but just demonstrating how more complex textures from a more complex 2D art program like Waffle can be sent back and forth with ease. =D
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

It is also fun to paint a bit in Curvy, then send to Dogwaffle to apply filters and special effects to the texture before sending back.
Midnight Carnival

I imagine painting first in Curvy sort of defines what areas are what when you send the map over to waffle so you know where to add the effect if you just want to add it to one area.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Yes, exactly. You can use it as a template for putting together more complex effects. I often scribble a texture design in 3D, then take it into a 2D program and redraw with bezier shapes, gradients and more textured brushes.
Midnight Carnival

Simon wrote:Yes, exactly. You can use it as a template for putting together more complex effects. I often scribble a texture design in 3D, then take it into a 2D program and redraw with bezier shapes, gradients and more textured brushes.
My current thing is the bump and figuring out which part of the bump is a specific model part while I have the completely grey bump in PD (started another thread about this). =D
jayd

Doggie Question

Post by jayd »

Hey i could use some advice here--first can i put Dogwaffle on my pc and then move the finished product (image) to curvy 3d on my mac--I am assuming that it is just producing an image for you to apply wherever.

Also, I almost purchased the pro version but i quickly backed off because the sites that i am visiting for d
Dogwaffle are confusing and quit frankly very cheesy looking so I'm a bit worried to make an online purchase

I saw it was on sale for 19 dollars from 29 dollars--when i got to the place to purchase, it looked like it was 49 dollars or something like that.

Am I missing something? I really like the creator's explanation but i am WAFFLING on make this purchase.

Any advice?
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

You can use any 2D program you like with Curvy - I have used Painter, Gimp, Dogwaffle, Photoshop, Artweaver and probably more.

Dogwaffle on PC has a helpful link with Curvy on PC so you can quickly swap textures between the two programs, but you can achieve the same by simply loading and saving the image files.

There are a few different versions of Dogwaffle on sale - so perhaps you got redirected to a full version from a budget version?
donfelipe

Re: Doggie Question

Post by donfelipe »

jayd wrote:Hey i could use some advice here--first can i put Dogwaffle on my pc and then move the finished product (image) to curvy 3d on my mac--I am assuming that it is just producing an image for you to apply wherever.

Also, I almost purchased the pro version but i quickly backed off because the sites that i am visiting for d
Dogwaffle are confusing and quit frankly very cheesy looking so I'm a bit worried to make an online purchase

I saw it was on sale for 19 dollars from 29 dollars--when i got to the place to purchase, it looked like it was 49 dollars or something like that.

Am I missing something? I really like the creator's explanation but i am WAFFLING on make this purchase.

Any advice?

Hi, we do have various versions of Project Dogwaffle that we offer on sale every once and then. There is a free version 1.2 on our site (www.dogwaffle.info has them all, same as thebest3d.com ). Currently we offer a 40% discount for several versions that include animation. PD Artist 2 (based on PD Pro 6) does not have animation and is cheaper than the other, complete PD Pro 6 aka PD Howler. But with the 40% discount through Haloween it's almost the same.

Yes you can save an image from Dogwaffle through various mechanism to files in various formats of course. And standard formats like 'Default Targa .tga, Tiff, Png, bmp, Jpg are included. You can use File -> Save which will use the ImageMagick converter if saving to formats other than Default Targa. We include convert.exe for that purpose. But the recent versions 5 and 6 of PD Pro also have another converter, General File Converter, to handle half a dozen formats. I always recommend however not to worry about the format in Dogwaffle. Use Dogwaffle for what it's good at, painting. Save to a lossless format that preserves all you need (such as alpha channel) and then use the other tools to figure out what to do with it.

We can alos send images and brushes to/from the Clipboard, and with Curv 2 there's a direct connection to the active X server which Dogwaffle runs as, so indeed no need to save files to get them to Curvy. It can be a very handy time saver. That connection also passes alpha in the colormap so you can paint holes to see through.