Can you not do boolean operations or paste pieces together?

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
Midnight Carnival

Can you not do boolean operations or paste pieces together?

Post by Midnight Carnival »

In version 1.6?

I made a model with a bunch of little fingers but in order to export I suspect I'd have to make sure that they were attached to the model as whole.

Also wanted to cut out a mouth but wasn't quite sure how....
Midnight Carnival

I was messing around with background reference images to see if they would help and they helped tremendously. This was only fifteen mins of work until I got stuck.

Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Try the 2.0 Demo - it has booleans: subtract and merge, you could draw a line object for the mouth and use booleans to cut it out of this little monster :)
Midnight Carnival

Hitting my partner up for 2.0 and Dog Waffle as an x-mas gift (can you get a hard copy of this mailed out?) as I see it has incorporated some Sculptris-similar tools which would go perfectly with this program.

You, the Sculptris guy, the Shape Shop guy and the Teddy Smooth student should all get together.

I know playing with the Curvy map and sliders I can make a cavity but it doesn't look as nice as a full on cut.

Once I figured out how to work it, this is right up there with Sculptris....well, even more so as there's more possibilities since you can actually freehand drawn shapes aside from just simply sculpting.

I'm teaching myself 3D so most of my attention is on poly modelers like Blender and Metasequoia for the educational value - this is too much like cheating but it's really A LOT of fun and always guaranteed to come out with something that actually looks good from Curvy or Sculptris as opposed to my current struggles with Blender. =P
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Hehe, I learnt 3D the slow way when all I had was vertices and triangles, move and rotate. The tools these days are so much quicker and more fun to use :) It is worth trying lots of modelling techniques in all kinds of programs to see what suits you best.

Blender is very powerful, but I don't think I've yet met anyone who really knows how to drive it ;) I don't think it is cheating if the results are good!
Mr.Nemo
Board Chairman

Post by Mr.Nemo »

It is much easier these days than when I learned. What got me in the game of 3D was a little program called OpenFX. I just visited its site and it has had lots of upgrades but the core seem to have remained the same. A little more simple then back then though. I like the creature you are working on up there. Hope you get it to look how you wish. :)
C is missing : Scream's pain of Clicking dost my Keyboard a Thinkin'. I need a new Laptop.
Midnight Carnival

The creature is the cover mascot to Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. =D