Curvy good for Second Life Jewelry Start to Finish?

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
dmon

Curvy good for Second Life Jewelry Start to Finish?

Post by dmon »

I'm new to 3d modeling, but experienced with 2d graphic design.
I'm interested in jewelry creation for Second Life.
Assuming I have metal/gem textures, would be Curvy be a good choice to create Second Life jewelry start to finish?
Also, with Curvy, is it possible to make long dangling jewelry rigged to move with the avatar? (think long dangling earrings)
Thank you!
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: Curvy good for Second Life Jewelry Start to Finish?

Post by Simon »

I think you could make some good Sculpties for 2nd Life jewelry in Curvy. Once you get used to the shapes you can make with Curvy Lathes and Lines you will see lots of potential. You can try exporting Sculpties in the demo.

I don't know about rigging dangling earrings - I suspect you will have to find some specific animation/rigging tutorials for 2nd life.
dmon

Post by dmon »

Thank you for your reply!

I see that Curvy can export 3DS. Can anybody tell me if they have success in exporting Curvy mesh to 3DS, importing into Blender and exporting back out as Collada (DAE) then upload to Second Life?

I realize this is not a Blender forum, but I'm also wondering if anybody has exported Curvy to 3DS, imported to Blender and performed rigging in Blender of their mesh object on the Second Life avatar?

Thank you again!
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I'd say exporting OBJ is better than 3DS if you are taking it into Blender, and then there should be no trouble exporting Collada. Only thin I would add is that you probably should do mesh reduction in Curvy or Blender before exporting for Second life to make a simpler/cheaper mesh object (I think 2nd life penalises meshes that have high triangle counts)