Importing OBJ - Turns into single Group in Curvy

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
Dralger

Importing OBJ - Turns into single Group in Curvy

Post by Dralger »

I'm having an issue with bringing in a model made in Silo 2 for detailing in Curvy3D. In Silo my model is made up of about 30 different primitives, each their own independent object in the scene. This is important because I animate in Poser and having the body parts already separated into their own objects means I don't have to do any grouping at all in the rigging process.... big time saver.

So I wanted to get fancier and try my hand at sculpting extra detail in Curvy - but when I bring the model into Curvy it is made up of only a single Group, such as Mesh116 instead of showing all the body parts. Bringing the same model into Poser seems to maintain the sub-objects, but Curvy does not.

Is there maybe an import settings menu I'm missing, or some other way to have Curvy not merge all objects into a single mesh upon OBJ import?
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: Importing OBJ - Turns into single Group in Curvy

Post by Simon »

Joining parts into a single skin is deliberate in Curvy - as it is mainly a sculpting program it makes sense to work on a single object, otherwise all the seperate body parts would split at the seams when you started sculpting into the surface.

Of course this makes it hard to reverse the import-export process and get things back into Poser/etc so I tend to do the posing first, before bringing into Curvy and then take the whole object back out into other programs as a static prop. (Also Poser models need such careful setup it would be very hard to export a model that would work as a poseable model back in Poser)