Crashes

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
vanvalkinburgh

Crashes

Post by vanvalkinburgh »

Curvy 3D crashes when my computer goes to screen saver mode. Also before I removed the ATI driver after a while of using Curvy 3D I can't click anything on the taskbar. I'm not sure if that's fixed by using the driver included with Windows 7 or not.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Also I tried disabling prevx and trend micro and the problems are still there.

Does anyone else have these problems? I'm thinking it's an ATI problem.
vanvalkinburgh

Post by vanvalkinburgh »

It's stable enough now, if the taskbar gets locked up, instead of doing ctrl alt delete, I use the pan tool and then the taskbar comes back to life.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

That is a bit weird! But I am glad you found the workaround.
bontacon

Post by bontacon »

wheres the pan tool?
im new in this 3d modelling and everytime i leave the 3d apps it always crash?
how do you guys fix this?
its so annoying though, that it always crashing everytime.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Pan Tool:
Either drag with Middle Mouse Button, or use this tool from the toolbox:

Crashing:
I'm sorry to hear it is crashing on you. This is very unusual - does it display an error message when it crashes?
Otherwise perhaps you could reinstall and that might fix any installation bugs.
Markku

Post by Markku »

"everytime i leave the 3d apps it always crash"

Might well be driver problem. Do you have recent drivers for your graphics card installed?
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

it may not be connected at all to this problem
but i have mentioned before that curvy does not seem to hand back memory correctly when one exits.
I choose new from the file menu (make sure you have saved work first) before exiting curvy.

curvy exiting does not crash my xp system but does slow it down if i forget to do the above.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

@sculptor I have no idea why you might experience a slowdown, but I don't think it is related to memory.

My tests show the system memory returns to the correct pre-Curvy level each time I quit. Also I would get specific "Memory Leak" error messages if I left something unallocated.

In fact Curvy does do pretty much a "New Scene" when it shuts down, as it loops through all the objects and destroys each one. I wonder if there is some part of the process that is missed out on Exit instead of New.
Markku

Post by Markku »

I just can't understand why in the world would OS leave freeing resources to developer. In Linux, the OS just frees any resources owned by terminated processes. Microsoft's way is just dumb.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

As far as I know - if a program DID hog resources and not free them, then they would still automatically get cleaned up when closed.

When you are debugging in Windows you get warnings about anything that was left unfreed, so it is quite easy to keep on top of.
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

did some basic memory usage tests

and curvy handed back memory ok

so it must be only on certain operations that something strange is happening
i will try to keep track of it and let you know if i can spot anything

but as i said in my last post it may have nothing to do with these crashes anyway :)