lathing a difficult shape for inflate

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
nonna

Post by nonna »

heres a difficult shape ive been trying to lathe a shape inside to make it into a sculpty. is it possible? not sure how to place a picture here i popped one into the beginners albumn under may name.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I can see two ways to make this into a sculptie.

The first involves cutting it up into several simpler pieces and using the method I used for this sword to inflate simple lathes inside the pieces.

The second method is to apply the greyscale heightmap as a curvy map to a plane (a square curvy loft object) and save that as a sculptie. Then you can use a texture map with an alpha channel to cut-out the ribbon from the background. This technique gives you a hollow shell instead of a solid sculptie - but can achieve the complex shape in a single sculptie and should look good from the front.
nonna

thank you for your quick response

Post by nonna »

thank you for your quick response. in order to use this as an ornament for a chair i need it to be a solid sculpty. so i think maybe i will try bringing it into a 3d program as a mesh object from curvy and reduce polygon count and convert it to a sculpty.
nonna

Post by nonna »

could you please elaborate on teh second method im having a tough time creating a square lofted object and im not sure how to do the rest iether, thank you nonna
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Here is a flat rectangle file http://www.curvy3d.com/alpha/Rectangle.cvy
I drew it by selecting the Loft tool then drawing a capital I shape - first the vertical, then the two horizontal lines. Then I titied it up by selecting the curves and using Curve Menu/Straight-Line.

The next step is to apply your greyscale input image of the bow to the curvy map of this model - Right click the little grey square where is says Curvy Map in the Object Properties panel and pick your image from the file chooser.

It will work best if the greyscale image of the bow almost fills the image, with a small black border.

You may need to increase the resolution of the model (using the Resolution slider) but bear in mind the Sculptie is limited in how much detail will be preserved.

This model can now be exported as a sculptie. To cut out the bow from the background you will need to make your texture map with an alpha channel - I usually use GIMP and PNGs to make textures with alpha - I can't remember what is best for Second Life.