Wow! 4.0 seems awesome...

Discussion and updates on Curvy 3D Beta development.
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: Wow! 4.0 seems awesome...

Post by Simon »

Making progress with beziers with holes. Going to add custom bevel shapes and extrusion along paths too (like shaped Curvy Lines).
Almost finished the SVG import - need to add ellipse arcs to get exact circles.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3040
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Lines with custom profile shapes works now. I need to do a fair bit of UI work to make it easy to use (And avoid the confusion of Lofts). In fact this might end up improving and simplifying the Lofts too.
Dan Silverman

Post by Dan Silverman »

Lines with custom profile shapes works now. I need to do a fair bit of UI work to make it easy to use (And avoid the confusion of Lofts). In fact this might end up improving and simplifying the Lofts too.
If things are similar (i.e. like profile shapes, lofts, whatever), then perhaps having one icon that changes what is seen in a properties panel. In the properties panel, the end-user can check/uncheck functions as needed. The most common functions can be automatically checked, if need be. This sort of workflow tends to simplify the UI by having less buttons and allows the end-user quick access to commonly used functions while also providing ultimate control.
Desktop Workstation
Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7GHz
128 GB RAM
RTX 3090 ti
Windows 11 64-Bit
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I quite like the brushes approach, with a bit list of shapes you can make (including modifiers). It would act like a Preset to all the options we currently have.

And then you can either use the preset 'brush' or open an additional settings panel to muck around with the preset by hand.
Common and frequently used settings like radius, length, resolution would probable be available without an additional layer.

SPHERE = Lathe Round Profile
CUBE = Square End + Straight Rail
CYLINDER = Circle End + Straight Rail
Most of the the other prims now become a combination of END and RAIL, with the option of parametric defaults to replace Curves.

Lathe PROFILES, and Slab BEVELs have a similar role, and you should be able to convert between the two by adding/removing an END (using one profile as a bevel)

There could be multiple workflow depths:
1) Select a preset, then draw the number of curves it requires. No UI required.
2) Select a preset, draw END (makes a Slab Object). Adjust Radii and Resolution in simplified preset UI
3) Select Slab. Select Bevel Slot in simplified UI, draw Bevel.

And if you want to go beyond the preset..
4) Select Slab. Open Full UI popup. Change End Mode to Blob. Select Rail Slot. Draw rail to make Extruded Blob. Delete End curve to become Line. Simplified UI now updates to show Circle End radius. Delete Rail. Becomes CYLINDER with round ends.

The highest level toolbar only need have a single 'create' button if you like, and if you expand it you show as many presets as you like, with common/frequent first, then a 'full' list with more types.
It would work exactly like 3.0 if you want it too (Select, Draw, set Prim Options) or you could have presets for all kinds of combinations and varients (tempting in as much as it might be a sort of tutorial if they had a good preview image, and perhaps even workflow tips as to which curves to draw and where).
Markku

Post by Markku »

A lot of progress, it seems. :D

Take your time. If there will be demo period, I'll be interested... :D
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

There will be a Beta - probably shortly after I the time I get the new UI working and hook stuff into it. And you are welcome to test it out then :D
Funken

Post by Funken »

Do you already have an estimated date when you want to release the beta to the public? Is it like weeks, months...?
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

No date, sorry. I'm currently just prototyping to see what I want to include in the next version. Once I have a good idea of what it needs to do I'll be able to mockup a new GUI to support that.

If it works out like previous versions - I reckon months to get the first Beta, but then things should get updated regularly after that.
Markku

Post by Markku »

Take your time, Simon. Trust me, in the end it will be faster to make it carefully. Rushing causes bugs. Those bugs can be very hard to correct. :D
ChadV

Post by ChadV »

Just bought 3.0 because of the work you're doing in 4.0 :) I look forward to testing it.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Thanks Chad, I appreciate the support! I've added you to the private Beta forum.
ChadV

Post by ChadV »

Thanks Simon ! :)
mald

Post by mald »

Hi Simon

As a registered user of Curvy 3d V3 I wonder if it would be possible to gain access to the V4 beta forum?

Cheers
Mal