ruined sector

Show us your Curvy art here
sculptor

ruined sector

Post by sculptor »

constructed curvy 2
render bryce
Last edited by sculptor on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Nemo
Board Chairman

Post by Mr.Nemo »

You changed it but I do like this one a little more. I never have liked Bryce renders that much. That always contained a haze and never looked as real as others. Not to say you were going for real. Not all do. The vein like objects at the bottom are nice. Did you model the fallen statue?
C is missing : Scream's pain of Clicking dost my Keyboard a Thinkin'. I need a new Laptop.
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

you raise some very interesting points there Mr. Nemo.

I suppose on the question of reality I am often asking myself a question such as - what would a planet with two suns look like ?

On the subject of Bryce
i picked up bryce 5.5 on a free offer it was a good deal :lol:
i am at the stage of knowing about 1% of bryce's capabilities (it is complex)
Haze can be controlled by- sky lab-athmosphere-colour spectrum and also by render options.
Bryce is powerful because there are so many variables that can be changed. But this can make it very awkward to actually use. I suppose to get a earth realistic image one would have to start feeding into it scientific values for particular weather conditions(i might have a try at that)

Bryce has some very interesting uses for curvy users.

object mask, distance mask and altitude mask can be used to create some superb images for curvy inflate and for paint programs.

it can also be used for creating textures(via terrain export)
sometimes useful for converting models(import model to bryce,select object,click edit object,press control d, choose format and save) (not obvious ?)
the bryce smooth object feature is useful

yes i modeled the statue

detail with more earth-like atmosphere parameters

alpha exported to paint program for body mask(demonstrate)
depth mapped to curvy just for the sheer fun of it
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I like the zoomed in one, shows off the model well.

The texture seam on the body looks like a 1.5 bug... thought I had fixed it for 2.0!

This is 10,000x better than my attempts to render in another program - still hitting my head against the wall with point lights and ambient occlusion in Blender.
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

Simon wrote:
The texture seam on the body looks like a 1.5 bug... thought I had fixed it for 2.0!
don't worry as you know i keep a library of parts and that shell is probably from an earlier version of curvy.
It was not a concern until i zoomed in :)

i am exploring different ways of using bryce but i have been spoilt by the speed of curvy(curvy is so quick to model with).
You can spend ages twiddling with render settings then spend ages waiting for renders and still not be happy with what you have produced because you start forgetting basics like composition etc etc etc. :lol:

i am puzzling over how to make that glass dome look old and cracked at the moment.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Why not paint cracks over the top as a post-process touch-up. That would be the quick way to do it :)
Mr.Nemo
Board Chairman

Post by Mr.Nemo »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. You could also isolate the glass dome, export to some modeling program. Model a few cracks and import back in. This way the cracks will have the right light refraction. But, post work is easier. :)
C is missing : Scream's pain of Clicking dost my Keyboard a Thinkin'. I need a new Laptop.
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

thanks for the pointers.

i found my painting skills were not quite up to the job :oops:

but oh joy found curvy was very good at it, with a simple boolean and and a subtract children :D

Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

The faceted surface looks beautiful on that glass, nice solution (And probably better than any of us could paint in post production!)
Mr.Nemo
Board Chairman

Post by Mr.Nemo »

I do like that facet shader as well. I like it. Pretty simple too. :)