Knight

Show us your Curvy art here
Simon
C.E.O.

Knight

Post by Simon »

Suit of Armour made with Curvy 3D 2.0 (Blank screen to finished upload took 2h30min).

To make the trickier pieces I drew shapes in Curvy to get an outline, then set a white lightmap and took a screenshot... this created some white silohuettes on black background... then loaded the screenshot back in with "Inflate Image" with various settings to create boxy, wedge, and smooth model parts. I exploded the parts and used them for armour pieces.
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

great suit of Armour with nice metallic look
interesting technique( i must try it )
one very small thing i think the face grill looks a little flat
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Yep, the light catches it badly, and the middle grill hole hides the corner running down the middle.

I made the corners by rotating a flat piece 30 degrees then using "Mirror", to make a piece bent back 30 deg on either side. Then I used widget move to bend the corner out.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I got Blender working with Yafaray to do this render. I also reduced the Knight from 200,000 polies to 40,000 in MeshLab so get a faster render.

This is just an experiment - I think it will take a long time until I get used to all the rendering choices!
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

that head/chest area is starting to look really interesting 8)
Mr.Nemo
Board Chairman

Post by Mr.Nemo »

You always produce such nice models Simon. I have to commend you on that. It's really interesting to see this come from Curvy. Even the title Curvy 3D makes it sort of ironic haha. I fooled around with Blender some. Just haven't gotten the hang of it. I did however get POV-Ray to work with it. It is a decent raytrace renderer. http://hof.povray.org/
C is missing : Scream's pain of Clicking dost my Keyboard a Thinkin'. I need a new Laptop.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I got the feeling that povray was more suited to procedural/math generated models rather than millions of trangle models.

I definately prefer sculpting & painting to raytracing - but that might change once I get used to it.