squirrel

Show us your Curvy art here
sculptor

squirrel

Post by sculptor »

direct from curvy beta(except for anti aliasing and tone curve in corel edit: and uv remap in fragmotion))

for this one i just drew lots of little lathes(about twelve) within the outline of the squirrel using a photo reference backdrop and then did a quick merge all. Used a copy of the object as a shadow.
Last edited by sculptor on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

That is lovely! Ace photo reconstruction technique.

Did you have to do something clever to get the texture to line up on the model?
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

yes forgot to mention - very simple not too clever :)
exported object into fragmotion to rescale the texture uv
and re imported into curvy
Mr.Nemo
Board Chairman

Post by Mr.Nemo »

Very nice indeed. Did you draw the texture in photoshop or directly in Curvy?
C is missing : Scream's pain of Clicking dost my Keyboard a Thinkin'. I need a new Laptop.
Vanrailey

Post by Vanrailey »

Very, very, awesome man!!!
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

Mr.Nemo wrote:Very nice indeed. Did you draw the texture in photoshop or directly in Curvy?
all i had to do for texture was use the original reference photograph and a bit of uv mapping
sculptor

a bit more detail about uv

Post by sculptor »

I thought i'd give a little more detail about uv mapping because i found it all a mystery in the beginning.

For the squirrel i used fragmotion to remap the uv's but here i will show it in uvmapper classic (freeware) http://www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html (if your model has a huge number of triangles reduce it in meshlab first)

Simon has done a lot of work on the beta uv mapping which makes it pretty straight forward.

load the model from curvy into uvmapper clasic press edit menu - select all
then press the / key on the numeric keypad(this will reduce the map to a workable size) then drag the map to where you want it and use the corner handles to resize.
to load the reference texture cntrl+b
when you have got it right export the model ticking the box invert uv vertical.
you may need to flip the texture as well.
any problems just ask me.

if when you first load your model into uvmapper it is blank or the image you see does not make sense go to edit-new uvmap -planar.

As always - it is wise to rename models and textures as you are saving them so that you do not overwrite anything important.

Sometimes people want to export the map from uvmapper so that hey can paint on it in photoshop etc, if you do, do not forget to convert it to 24bit rgb or things will behave oddly.

screenshot of uv being lined up in uvmapper classic