UV mapping problems

Show us your Curvy art here
fuzzoom

UV mapping problems

Post by fuzzoom »

I created a vase in Curvy and applied a texture to it in "Base Color". When I exported the vase as a .3ds, the texture did not export with it. I tried to UV map the vase in Wings 3D. The texture did not show up on the model. Can anyone tell me how to apply a texture to a Curvy model and export the model with the texture mapped to it?
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

You should not need to re-UV map it, just pick a texture to use in the other app. Curvy should save out the UVs with the model in OBJ and 3DS formats.
bigH
Curvy3D Professional

Post by bigH »

Simon wrote:You should not need to re-UV map it, just pick a texture to use in the other app. Curvy should save out the UVs with the model in OBJ and 3DS formats.
I don't think this work ( YET ) - did you fix it !!!
Vanrailey

Post by Vanrailey »

I can retain the UV's of a mesh when exporting/importing out/in of curvy in OBJ format. Thus, it works out rather well with me.... I've yet to have any problems.
So basically are you saying that after exporting the object with the UV's then importing it into wings... the UV's get messed up or doesn't even show. Thus, when you load the texture to the object in Wings... What happens?
fuzzoom

Post by fuzzoom »

When I try to texture the object in Wings, it just doesn't apply the texture at all. When I apply a texture in Curvy, it does not export along with the object. The only way I have been able to texture/UV map Curvy objects is by using Blacksmith 3D. In this program, you paint the textures/colors onto the model in real-time.

Thanks for replies! :)
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

curvy does not create a mtl (material) file with its obj object export.
But it does save any changed textures. (as mentioned in the link i gave you)

In your 3d program you just re-import those textures (or any others) and reapply them to your model. (i use fragmotion)
Sometimes the textures have to be flipped.

If you want to keep objects in the model separate it is better to use the 3ds export.

Accutrans3d is invaluable for any format conversions

(wings I think is an very awkward program it often crashes trying to do even simple things like loading an image, fragmotion is cheap and capable)
Mr.Nemo
Board Chairman

Post by Mr.Nemo »

I've had no problems with UV's with exported meshes. I export to .3ds. Import the model into Max, apply the texture and viola! it's there! :) I hope you can resolve your texture issue. I enjoy your art.
C is missing : Scream's pain of Clicking dost my Keyboard a Thinkin'. I need a new Laptop.