sometimes we can over complicate our method of working
here is a little reminder over how quick and simple it can be to do things in curvy
1. draw a very rough curve to the approximate shape
2. select the curve then use the ruler (straighten curve segment) tool to straighten the lines
3. right click on base color to load a map (this could be almost any image or pattern )
4. left click on curvy map and select the same image
5. slide up the resolution slider and hey presto!
i used this method to make leaf http://www.curvy3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2457