Mesh Tutorial 1

Simon
C.E.O.

Mesh Tutorial 1

Post by Simon »

Here is a quick intro to the new tools. I expect the workflow to change quite a bit over time - this is more a prototype to test the potential than a final workflow design.

First you need to create a new mesh object. This is found beneath the old lathe line and loft objects. Click in any view to create the object.

Once clicked your cursor will change to the add points tool - circled in the image below. Also a green cross will appear in the views - this is important, I call the green cross the anvil because it is the centre of many important mesh activities.

In the left view click to add 5 points as shown. Now look in the front and top views, you will see all the new points line up with the anvil. If you move the object the anvil stays still, and new points will still line up with it - this is one way to choose whare in 3D the points are created.

Right click to select a point, for moving or deletion. Be careful, I am not sure delete can be undone yet if you delete the whole mesh (save often!).

Now choose the add edges tool - If are currently using add points hold SHIFT as a shortcut to add edges, you will notice the tool cursor changes. Press and hold the LMB while dragging between points to add an edge.

Right click to select an edge, for moving or deletion.

You can add faces with the add faces tool - labled F in the tool panel
. Alternatively hold CTRL+SHIFT to chage your tool cursor into the add faces tool. Add faces by dragging LMB between the midpoints of two edges. If the edges share a corner a triangle is created, otherwise a quad.

Before extruding the model must be moved to the correct position over the anvil. Extrusions currently always happen from left to right, and make an object that is symmetrical about the anvil. Choose the normal move tool and drag the object forwards a bit (use the top view and drag down as shown).

Now choose Object/Extrude from the object menu. The mesh is mirrored through the anvil and the sides are stiched up to make a 3D shape.

Choose Object/Subdivide to add more faces to the model.

And subdivide again to add more faces...

Clicking on the resolution bar in Object Properties will give you an update of how many triangles there are in the model. Anything above 100,000 triangles and I would not suggest subdividing again!

Choose View/Show Edit Curves or press F10 to hide the lines, useful when the mesh becomes dense.

Normal map and Curvy map painting works, but with very simple planar UV's applied from the front (more choices and an editor for UV's will come with time)

The widgit tools are very fun to use. They work just like the curve editing tools but effect the whole object. Change the size and shape of the widgit tool to get different warping effects (use the scale slider and brush shape panel on the Widgit Tool Properties panel)