A fix for the seam on export.

cabletoru
Curvy3D Professional

A fix for the seam on export.

Post by cabletoru »

First of all there are 2 seam types....

The first occurs on mirrored objects where there are 2 thin seams on either side of the object... I found that by scaling the mesh along the x axis helped to remove it.

The 2nd occurs on non-mirrored objects where there is 1 thick seam along one side of the object... This is the fix I found that seems to work...

If you own a modelling app that can do UVs then this will be a breeze...

1 ) Import your Curvy exported object or model or scene into your modelling application (In my case I used Cinema 4D with Bodypaint 3D).
2 ) Apply a texture (checkerboard is ideal), to descern where the seam is.
3 ) Select the polygons along the seam... In the image they were the row of zeroes.

4 ) Scale the seam UV polygons (red in image) until they match the size of it's counterparts (blue in image).

5 ) You then have to somehow flip those so that they also match in alignment (I used the free transform tool moving along the x axis until they flipped over).

Then you move the selected polygons over to the empty area on the texture.

Check to make sure the seam is aligned the way you want.

6 ) Save your object with a lovely matching map...

Repeat as necessary for each seamed object.

This should or maybe a method similar to this should work with mirrored objects as well.

Also a method for those who don't have a 3D modelling app with UV capabilities, but have UVMapper.

Follow steps 1, 2 & 3 as above
4 ) Somehow you have to split the seam away from the main model... in C4D the split command does it, or the C4D plugin "split to objects"... so when you save it and open it in UVMapper you will have the seam polygons separated as a group.... So however you do it the seam polygons have to be a separate entity on it's own and the remainder of the object also a separate entity.
5 ) Save your object as an .obj.
6 ) Open in UVmapper... when the out of bound request comes up select "NO" If you select "YES" the object mesh will cover the entire screen and thus the whole texture including the necessary gap for the seam to go which is not what you want.
7 ) From the menu find "select by group" and choose your seam group.
8 ) Scale and position the selected polys until they fit into the gap, check with the model view to make sure it looks right.
9 ) Save your object.
10 ) Bring the object back into your 3D modeller and weld the seams either side of where the 'export seam' was. This could probably be done in UVMapper, I'm not sure.
Using a computer so old...
even the old testament refers to it as a fossil
bigH
Curvy3D Professional

Post by bigH »

8) work - well done - thank you